Ashhurst Tactical Airsoft

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Ashhurst Tactical Airsoft

The official forum for Ashhurst Tactical Airsoft members.

2 posters

Wood Stocks

Timothy T
    Timothy T
    Major
    Major

Wood Stocks Empty Wood Stocks

Post  Timothy T Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:28 am

I was thinking the other day (a dangerous thing to do) and I had an idea.

What if the apeal of an AK47 gun, ignoring it's country of origon and it's percieved toughness, was actually due to the fact that it is one of the few guns in the world that has wooden parts.

Then I wondered if you could give other, more modern guns wooden stocks and such. Would it make them prettyer? Retro? A monstrosity?

I like to think that a G36 with wooden stock or something would be pretty cool. Weird, but cool.

Same with any modern gun, M4s, MP5s, I saw a L96 with a wood stock and it looked pretty good. A P90 with a wooden stock is pretty cool in my head as it's a wierd gun to start with so its not like your making it any stranger.

I don't think a Steyr would work very well.

By the way, I'm not saying make the whole gun wood, you don't see wood Ak47s do you? Just the stock, handle and grip.

A sig?

Anyway, I'm sure lots of guns could benefit from a bit of wood.

Wood is a lot more warmer and natrual than plastic or metal. It seems to make the gun more of a work of art than robot built to kill.

I'm sure most of you won't agree with me but if any of you have pics of guns with wooden parts could you post them?
    Mikey
    Mikey
    Major
    Major

Wood Stocks Empty Re: Wood Stocks

Post  Mikey Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:46 am

You are at least partly right IMHO.

A wood stock ak is much more appealing than a synthetic stock ak.
    A wood stock SVD is beautiful, a plastic stock one is much less so.

The PKM machine gun..... that stock has to be the best feature

When there is an even comparison to be made, and government contracts invovled, synthetic stocks win on cost, ease of manufacture, durability, useability and weight.
    Wood wins because it is none of those things. Because it is is therefore more valuable, individual, carved from a living piece of the world instead of blow moulded from fossil fuels, more difficult to make and has a reality and presence plastic doesnt.

I have been tempted to make wooden stocks. I have pieces of wood stashed in the shed right now with that purpose in mind.

I wont post pics, even thou I have plenty.

Maybe just one, its about the best piece of furniture grade military hardware i have seen:
    Wood Stocks Tigerm39
    Wood Stocks Tigerm39left2

I dont own it, but i would in a heartbeat if it were for sale.